Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mini Tour to Kettle Lakes Provinicial Park

Last weekend I had my first "shakedown". I'm not sure why we call a short trial tour a shakedown, but I guess it's because it's like shaking the tour foundation to see if there are any loose parts: literally (on your bike) and figuratively (with your planning and packing).

shakedown |ˌʃeɪkdaʊn| noun informal
• a test of a new product or model, esp. a vehicle or ship : the high-orbit shakedown of the lunar module had its merits | [as adj. ] the software is expected to enter its final shakedown phase by the middle of September.

This one was short: 50 kms out of town there is a provincial park which I stayed at for a night. It's closed but a friend said that I could get in easily and without hassle. The packing went great... Well, I mean I had enough room for all my stuff plus my biochemistry text book. However, and not surprisingly, I forgot a few important things:

- Utensils: I stirred my meals with a stick I found that I deemed 'relatively clean' and transferred my slop into a bottle to eat from.
- Measuring cup: thank god for Nalgene bottles.
- Tire pump (went back home to pick it up)
- ear plugs: a necessity when alone in the woods and every noise could be interpreted as a rabid monster out to get you.

Otherwise the trip went great. I had the entire provincial park to myself... Which was kinda weird at times. Every noise that was made were from animals or the wind. Most of the time, it was nothing, sometimes it was a moose watching me from the other side of the campground, or an anonymous animal getting out of the lake and running by my tent in the middle of the night. The ride back was less than perfect with heavy winds and rain. I got to try out my rain gear though and it kept me dry and warm magnificently.

Thanks to Kettle Lakes Park for their generous hospitality. If any of you read this, I left $8 under the side door for my stay.
(Days 'till departure: 11)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good work dude

Best wishes from Halifax. Ride safe.

Gary