Thursday, May 17, 2007

May 16th, 17th, 2007.
White Rock

Just hanging out, having a good time with my bud, Gail! Who knew: There's a big white rock in White Rock

May 15th, 2007. Distance: 96.4 km, Odometer: 194 km
Duncan, BC -Duke Point Ferry Terminal - White Rock, BC

I've been lucky so far to be able to ride rain-free during BC's rainiest time. Today was no different. I left Duncan early and rode hard to make it to the ferry terminal 50kms away to make the 12:45 ferry. I would have made it, but along the way, I blew a tire. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be with 60lbs of gear on my bike. In my mind, I was thinking I'd lose control and veer off the side of a precipice, or, if I was lucky, into traffic. But neither of those. Just a slight pop and no loss of control. The rest of the trek for the day was a little nerve-racking because I used the last bicycle tube that I had, meaning if I blew another one, I'd be up a poopy creek without a paddle. I've already broken the first commandment in bicycle touring: Thou Shalt Not Depart Without at Least two Spare Tubes, You Cheapskate.
So I missed the 12:45 ferry and had to wait a few hours for the next one. I took the time to relax, have lunch and tune up my bike. I ended up making the gearing worse, but don't tell that to Paul, my bike repair guru. He wouldn't be happy.
The ferry ride was typical but the scenery made me feel excited for the mountainous trek ahead in the BC interior.
The rest of the ride for the day was on mainland BC and was beautiful. I took side-roads through farmland mainly, which was accompanied by pungent farmland smell. I didn't mind, of course, considering the alternative was freeway exhaust. There is something about the smell of farms that is energizing for me...
I arrived in White Rock at 9pm - a 12 hour journey today - and am amazed at how many fancy houses there are here. I'm here visiting a friend for the next couple of days, and recuperating.

.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey

Stock up on some tubes man. BC highways, although well maintained with wide shoulders, have a lot of shrapnails along the road. My tire was pinched by a piece of rust thrown to the side of the road on my 2nd day.

FYI: The township of Hope was the location for the movie "Rambo: first blood", you can find artifacts and signed autograph photos of Sylvester Stallone in the stores.

ride safe

Gary

Pip said...

Gary, thanks for the tips! I just bought a couple today. Along with a water bottle to replace one that I already lost. I'll keep my eyes pealed for Rambo relics!

S. said...

Is white rock painted white or is it mysteriously white?

Pip said...

White Rock is both. In the picture, there was a dude behind the rock with a can of white spray paint. Unfortunately, the rock is the target of many pranksters in the area for graffitti, so the rock has layer upon layer of white paint as well.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.