Monday, June 11, 2007

May 25, 2007. Distance: 104, Odometer 796
Kelowna, BC - Enderby, BC

Tired today and getting stiff in weird places like my right tricept, wrists and left shoulder blade. I attribute my low day today to my lousy sleep last night. I'm getting the impression that high-quality sleep for as many as 10 hours a night is essential for a good riding day. I buckled and turned into a campsite tonight and it's not to shabby! I'm clean and well-fed. I powered up the ol' iPod and I'm ready for another day tomorrow!

May 24, 2007. Distance: 102.3, Odometer 691.
Olalla, BC - Kelowna, BC

Woke up all crusty and stiff this morning, what without having a shower in a few days. The hills were back again this morning but things brightened up when an RV/Tent place let me use their showers. It took a little while of convincing and I even offered to pay but in the end they let me use their stuff... Showers do a heck of a lot to brighten a day, especially when I haven't had one in a while. I stopped in Penticton for lunch and did some good riding. It was easy with the beautiful scenery. Cycled along Okanagan Lake, the infamous home of the Ogopogo monster. AH! It's not hard to imagine why people from all around the world choose the Okanagan Valley as their vacationing spot. Tonight I'm stealth camping again. This time in a foresty spot outside of Kelowna. There are walking trails and ATV tracks, but I haven't heard or seen anyone since I arrived, so I'm sure it's safe. My usual tactic for these situations is to hang around the area for a good time, an hour or more, to see what the traffic is like. I don't want to be seen by many people, not for privacy, but for safety really. Tonight I tried sleeping on my mat and sleeping bag alone - no tent. It worked for a few hours, until the bugs woke me and kept me up well past midnight. I know I'm an expert camper now that I can set my tent up in the complete darkness. In the morning, I scared a couple of guys walking their dogs along the path. I wonder what they think of me: some crazy homeless guy? I've never had any problem, but I think if I had to prove my senility I may have trouble; well, that is if I didn't have a hat.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hi honey: It's father's day today and we haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is fine. You should be in Winnipeg by now. Give us a shout as soon as you can. Called Gisele and you have a place to stay in Thunder Bay. Also Aunt Chris and Aunt Suzie will be keeping in touch with you while we are gone. Love you much. May the wind be at your back. Love you and miss you mom. God Speed

Sonia said...

hey phil it's Sonia, how are you, are you eating well! You better be! For some weird reason that's always on my mind, just don't want you wasting away in the wind. OK OK I know you are a smart guy but still....MANGA MANGA OK !! Anyway writting you to let you know we are going to try to get as many donations as we can tonight! GO PHIL GO!!! Just had to say that to ! So wish us luck and say a little prayer! I will try to call you tommorow , hopefully with good news! LOVE YOU LOTS, LOTS, LOTS!! Sonia and family xoxoxox

_ said...

Whatever happened to the rest of the trip after Montreal??